Monday, November 24, 2008

Ok, most companies suck

Phillips Magnavox - I am now going to put you out there on a pedestal to be the punching bag for all companies that suck.

Here in front of me I have a Phillips 3025/37 MP3/video player. In terms of a device, it seems ok. I am attempting to find out what video format(s) it supports. I have:

1) Google the model number with every combination of possible wording referencing "video format", "manual" etc.

2) Disconnected the player to look up the URL's that are displayed when the player boots. By the way, that would be a nice touch - WOULD BE if the address didn't redirect to some investing site instead of yours. Tried it in FF and Google Chrome, just to make sure it wasn't some oddball virus that does a redirect in my machine.

3) Seriously considered throwing said device against the wall in front of me.

There is a quote that I really like:

"Plan A is always more successful when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a screwdriver or a hammer."

In this case, instead of reverting to Plan B, I'm thinking of a Plan C - buy a Sansa. Sandisk provides solid online support and there is a strong online community to help otherwise. And the e200 series is the best device under $100 I've ever used for music, and the video is ok too. The only complaint I have against Sandisk is that they discontinued the e200's. I have no verdict on the Fuze, yet.

I've had some issues with other Magnavox players also. Avoid at all costs. Waste of money.

No comments: