Friday, October 3, 2008

Go Rays!!

Did I mention that I am a sports fan. The Tampa Bay Rays are my baseball team. That has been almost a point of shame for years. They now have a playoff win!! I wasn't sure that would ever happen, but it has.

There is a tech angle to this, of course. I am sitting at work, watching the game as I write this, thanks to the internet streaming. Maybe the greatest invention of our lifetime for a sports fan. I could be in Tokyo right now watching the Rays in play in my hometown of St. Pete. I could be in Berlin, and still watch the Bucs on Sunday.

I would like to thank MLB. The baseball people have been smart enough to allow out-of-market internet streaming. VERY rarely does a large, old organization like MLB get credit for forward thinking, but in this case it has actually happened. Well done gentlemen.

Now, how long is it going to take the NFL to figure out that internet streaming will NOT drain the network viewers. The quality is too bad. Now, I realize that the quality will improve, and there are higher quality streams out there. But if the NFL doesn't authorize a stream, then the P2P streams will be the only ones out there, and the league will have no control over the content or anything else. The NFL is really good at making money, so they'll figure it out eventually.

No comments: